Wednesday, November 28, 2007

From Paula

Moonwater and I were kind of thrown in together. I was 19, pregnant and far from blood family. Ford Neha had shown me a vision of the Rainbow Road and I had faith and hope that a life dedicated to peace and love was possible. We met this amazing woman, incredibly sweet, so kind and loving, and so beautiful that men could hardly string words together in her presence. Eventually, this angel, Cherie, brought her little brother Adam and little sister Elana over. These 2 kids were so personable, so engaging, so present, so fearless. I was amazed. Ford Neha’s high school friend, Howie brought this beautiful gypsy lady over who was the Mom of these amazing people. Some people still called her June back then, some called her Moonwater. She instantly filled the house with music and color. And she brought me actual evidence that the Rainbow Way is the feeding of the soul for our children. Over many years of Moonwater and I crossing paths, I was always amazed at how instantly she could read that other Gemini, Ford Neha. Those 2 could look at each other and see into those brainy brains of theirs like few people can.
I saw Moonwater speak, sing and inspire many in her tribe about peace, justice and love. For me, I always loved her wry sense of humor, and I loved it when she got frustrated. Whether it was a dog in the kitchen, wet firewood, a whiny kid, when Moonwater rolled her eyes and made some derisive comment, the east coaster in me loved seeing the east coaster in her.
When Howie called to tell us that Moonwater was going to die soon, Neha and I tried to figure out if we could make it up to Eugene. We said to each other ‘Do we want to see her one more time or do we want to go up for the party?’ When I mentioned to Cherie that we might be able to come up, her response of ‘Would you?’ made the decision for us.
We got to Eugene late at night and spent Moonwater’s last day with that beautiful body with her, and her beautiful family: Cherie, Dennis, Jessamyn, Jimmy, Devon, Elana, and Lindaloo. (By the way, Adam, next time we see each other, I owe you a shot, brother)
As a young woman, Moonwater showed me by example, what I thought might be possible for a family and children. Now as an older woman, she shows me what I always thought death should be like. She was surrounded by peace and love. Her beautiful family gently caring for her as her breathing was ceasing and her soul was beginning the ultimate release into the ultimate freedom. We left the hospital room at 4pm, she died at 6. There are not enough thank you’s in any language to convey my gratitude to Moonwater and to Cherie for inviting us to be part of the good way to die. Moonwater goes on before us, soaring onto a updraft of love, her wings no longer fettered by our petty cares and worries.
Some times I meet people who love their old college, they wear their college T-shirts, and watch the football games. At the age when students are in college, I got to be part of Moonwater’s tribe. I was part of her legacy, the tribe she created and leaves to us. Moonwater once gave me a purple velvet vest that she had worn for years. I wear my tribe’s colors with pride, with love, with laughter.
Thank you, Moonwater, Thank you, Cherie. Thank you, Family.
PeacePaula

No comments: