Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Note From Madeline

Madeline sent me a note and said I could post it here :) thanks Madeline!

I cried when I saw the picture of June when she was 15. That was about the time Miquel brought her to live with us after your grandmother (when I met her, I'm sure her name was Harriet) passed. Your mother was raised in Sea Gate an upscale community in Coney Island. She was so beautiful, good, and sweet as could be always cheerful and I wondered what a wonderful child. Miquel told us that your grandmother suffered long with Cancer and your mother cared for her until the end. Mancie had taken care of enrolling her in high school but before we knew it she was gone.

Of course your grandfather tracked her down in Florida. I guess she was like a fragile butterfly that needed to fly. The next time I saw her in California at Victor's. You were the cutest little bit of a toddler and your two brothers were visiting from Florida. We had a great summer. I'll never forget it. I have a picture of all of us at Victor’s pool. If I can dig it out I'll send it to you.....If I can figure out how to send a pic via computer.

Next she showed up in Brooklyn and Albert and I babysat Adam. He was about 15 months old and he cried all the time for his mother. It took us a couple of days to find the two butterflies, June and Lila. I'm laughing now. They were really something else. June visited with us for a week when Albert and I lived in Gresham. She was on her way to a pow wow in Seattle. Always laughing and making us laugh.

I was really sorry to see her go knowing it would be probably be years until we met again. And, of course it was in California with my dear Lila. Oh how I wish I could have had more time with them. They were what I wanted to be but never had the guts. Soon it will be my time to join them and maybe I'll fly too. I knew when I met you in Cal. that you had their light. Keep spreading it around kid. This cruel world needs good people like you. Love, Madeline